From PaperCrafts Gourmet (p.78-Ana Cabrera)
makes one 13"x9" pan
1. Prepare yellow cake mix according to box directions.
2. While cake is baking, pour 1 can crushed pineapple into small saucepan. Add 1 c. sugar. Heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves completely. Bring to a boil, then immediately remove from heat. When cake is done, remove from oven. Using a fork, poke holes in cake about 1/2" apart. Slather cake with pineapple and juices. Let cool completely.
3. Make 2 pkg. (small box) instant french vanilla pudding. Let set up in fridge.
4. Spread 1 1/2 c. shredded coconut onto baking sheet and toast in oven at 325 degrees, stirring often.
5. Once cake is cool and pudding set up, spread pudding over pineapple layer. Then spread 1 tub whipped topping over the tip of the pudding and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Chill for one hour.
This was a pretty tasty cake. It was a crowd pleaser at my baby's birthday party (I made it for the adults). I didn't care for the coconut on top so much, but it was alright. Even my hubby liked this one, which kinda surprised me.